From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:06:07 -0400
I started writing this on the weekend and just realized I hadn't sent it!
Must be old age creeping up on me...

Anyway, I wanted to publicly thank all the folks who sent me advice and
dialog to help with my visit to vacation Bible school last Friday with my
crew of six furballs (I tried to email everyone privately, but may have
missed some).  All went well, and the kids (as well as some of the adults!)
got a big kick out of the ferrets.  Poor Bucky got car sick on the way over
(I had given him his daily dose of Pred. just before we left - probably
should have waited 'til after), so he missed out on the fun.  He slept in
the carrier the whole time, I felt so bad for him.  My neighbor's two kids
came along to help.  They play with the ferrets all the time and know them
well.

We were stationed in a small room, so we could let the ferrets run around
and play a bit.  We had six groups of kids come through - about 80 or 90
kids in all.  The older kids came through first, which turned out to be a
good thing, as the ferrets played like little maniacs at first, then got
tired out.  By the time the third class came through, Clover, my oldest,
had gone to sleep, so we were down by two.  The youngest kids were a little
more shy around the ferrets and we had to be a little more careful, so we
just took one or two out at a time while I talked to the kids about them.
I was really glad I had my two helpers along, or I wouldn't have dared to
let the ferrets down on the floor to play.  They did a good job of
supervising the situation, which got a little chaotic at times!

I didn't think I had talked so much, but by the time I got home I was
hoarse.  And the ferrets slept all afternoon.  Not something I'd do every
day, but it was fun and a good learning experience for the kids - none of
whom had pet ferrets at home.

Thanks again to all of you who sent advice to me, and I'm sorry if I missed
thanking anyone privately.

Nancy and critters