From:
"Selina, Birch, Dief, Sprite, Storm, Sand & Bear" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:10:26 -0400
Birch and Storm started showing signs of adrenal recently.  I took them to
see Dr Taylor at U of Guelph.  Birch got lupron shots and Storm will be
getting them on my next visit.

The reason they are getting Lupron is because Guelph doesn't do adrenal
surgeries anymore.  I don't remember the terms and the details of the
conversation I had with Dr Taylor, but the gist of it is that they don't
think removing the tumour solves the problem.  Apparently there are a lot
of re-occurence (Birch is one).  They believe that adrenal tumour is a
genetic thing, and starts in young ferrets, maybe not long after they are
born.  It is just that the signs don't manifest till much later.  He told
me about a young ferret who had surgery because of foreign bodies, and he
took a peek at the adrenal gland, and there were signs of tumours, even
though there were no external signs.  He mentioned there is some similar
ailment in humans which are treated with Lupron as well.  Also, the adrenal
glands serves many important functions, the least useful is the part
usually infected by tumours, and yet the whole gland is removed.  He
believes that if adrenal is detected early enough, then Lupron will stop
whatever chemical thing causing the tumours to go to the adrenal glands,
and the tumour will shrink & go away.  (Keep in mind this is what I
remember of the conversation, so some of the information may be inccorect,
my memory ain't very good).

I'm wondering how many people/vets have heard of or agree with their
hypothesis.  If there is a high rate of re-ocurrence, maybe surgery
isn't the solution.  I'm curious about how many ferrets have used Lupron
succesfully, and more curious about the number of ferrets that were treated
with Lupron and the treatment was unsuccessful (in this case, how long did
you wait before treatment started).  I'll also like to know why vets think
that surgery is the solution, if that is their opinion.  I guess I'll like
to know the pros and cons of both sides.

Thanx for your help.

// Selina, Birch, Dief, Sprite, Storm, Sand & Bear
// http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~ssiu