From:
Richard and Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:48:00 -0400
Had Blaze and Lily at the vet today.  Lily was getting her stitches
removed after surgery to her ear for a hematoma.  Also had them look at
a pimple-like thing on her tailbone.  They took a sample and looked at it
and think it is a cyst so she's on antibiotics (Clavamox).

Blaze is the problem.  Blaze has been chewing really strangely lately.  It
doesn't matter whether it's kibble, duck soup, or raisins.  She turns her
head down toward her front legs to chew.  The best way I know to describe
it is what we do when we get peanut butter stuck in the roofs of our
mouths.

I took some kibble with me but, of course, she wouldn't eat any.  Doc gave
her a little iso so he could look inside her mouth.  He said all looked
fine.  Her tonsils (didn't know ferrets had tonsils!!  Actually, I never
thought about it) looked a tad bit swollen, there was a little tartar on a
couple of teeth (time to take them all in for teeth cleanings), and one of
her canines had a tiny chip (sure don't know how that happened).  He didn't
feel that any of these things would cause the chewing problem.  So, he is
suspecting an abcess.  He said to experiment with cold, room temperature,
and warm stuff and see if I notice a difference in her sensitivity.  She is
also on Clavamox.  He said that if it is an abcess, it will get better and
then worse again after she goes off the meds.  In that case, we will go
from there.  Where "there" is, I don't know.

Any ideas??

Also, she is a pain in the you know what taking meds, and I have to do this
for 15 days, twice a day.  She slings that little head all over the place
and grunts at me.  I finally mixed it with a little NutriStat to get it
down her.  I think I'll begin giving her about a 1/2 teaspoon of duck soup
with it mixed in.  What fun the next two weeks will be.  At least Lily is
pretty good about taking her meds.

Katharine