Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1993 21:12:00 -0400
Amy -

RE: Cleo and the cat ...

I know that ferrets are VERY sensitive to the smell of ammonia --
and cat pee smells badly of ammonia ... so I would suspect that
the ferret would avoid that box at all costs!  We have cats and
ferrets sharing a small area also and we give the ferrets litter
boxes that are covered with cardboard boxs ... with holes cut
in the front JUST large enough for the ferret (and not for
the cat).  That way that cat his "his" box and the ferret has
one also ... safe from kitten messes.

As for fleas ... I have a flea FAQ that is terrific, I can
send it to you email if you write me privately --

Just remind me you want the flea FAQ.  But basically, flea
collars are useless (on anything) and can be dangerously
strong for ferrets.  Our vet recommends flea powder on their
bedding, etc, and then the ferrets will get in "and out" of
the powder, getting it on themselves gradually and killing
the fleas.  Also flea shampoos help a lot.

Linda

"Cats are cool ... but carpet sharks rule!"