From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:45:40 -0500
Suggestion: Google search on such things as: ' "interstate commerce"
pelts' and other useful search combinations.

I used to be involved (student curator) with a teaching collection; there
were federal regulations for a number of pelts based on animal type, how
killed, etc. and a number of states have their own laws.*  There is also
some concern on the transport level about things like some moths, and the
larva or eggs of dermestids (a carrion eating beetle type which can be
serious pests in the wrong situations) tagging along -- although some
sites say that dermestids avoid fur, skin and feathers I've heard in pers
coms of some situations which contradict that so I don't know if the
problem was actually a different pest or variation in dermestids because
we didn't have a pelt problem with them.  DO look into which pests may be
transported in pelts and include that info if you tackle this.

So, technically, there were people in the right on both sides, but I was
waiting for someone to actually look things up.  If this is a matter of
concern for you then I advise that you do so and use what you learn to
advance your effort to get ebay to lump domestic pets if you are one who
is pursuing that.  Even showing several states with restrictions may
cause ebay to reconsider.

BTW, cattle hides can not be sold across some state boundaries without a
permit currently.  You'll find that as you search, too.

Personally, I don't have a problem with pelts anymore than I do other
biological specimens but I DO have a problem with poor handling of ANY
such specimens and the trouble that can cause, and often have trouble
with those whose interest is not biological because sometimes it is based
on something a bit weird (Note that I say "sometimes".) The take of
taxidermy of pets goes through cycles.  In the early part of the 20th
century where I grew up many families had taxidermied pet birds after
their deaths, so many older relatives had them.

I guess what I am saying is that if you want to create a change then
don't rely on emotional pleas alone; do your homework so that you can
present ebay with a cogent argument to back up your words and indicate to
them that some hidden thin ice exists if they are to not write in that
restriction.

*Examples of the sorts of pages you need to work through and then refine
 beyond because most of these just have tantalizing general direction
 hints:

Existing ebay requirements and links:
http://pages.motors.ebay.com/help/policies/wildlife.html

APHIS (Check on the state links on inspection and shipping
restrictions):  http://www.aphis.usda.gov/

Animal Laws (seems to be primarily one state but I just skimmed):
http://www.animal-law.org/

  leg hold trapped animal pelts are widely illegal:
http://www.wildlifeprotection.net/bobcat/animalslegholdtrap.html

hides and some of one state's laws (I advise looking up all the state's
restrictions on interstate commerce of pelts and each state's Animal
and Plant Health Inspection Service, ditto those of shippers and
USPS.):  http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/titles/title11/c23a02.htm

species restrictions and ebay:  http://www.wolfhowl.org/activism/ebay/

a feel for some federal restrictions and CITES (international):
http://petcaretips.net/federal-wildlife-law.html
and http://www.cites.org/ and
http://permits.fws.gov/faqs/FaqTUVWXYZ.shtml

Expect it to be a big job.  When you set out to change anything remember:
read what worked for others, know what is or is not legally covered and
to what extent, look for variation among states if interstate commerce
is involved, look for what might be thin ice, etc.  Then when it looks
really hard remember this most important thing: If you do nothing then 5
or 10 years down the road you will be still be putting out brush fires
and knowing that you will be doing the exact same thing for decades to
come.  If you change things for the better then you might encounter an
occasional brush fire but for the most part you can then direct your
attention to whatever you next decide to try to improve.  Just ask those
of us who have worked for vaccines and then for getting ferrets here:
http://www.avma.org/pubhlth/rabcont.asp and
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/Ques&Ans/q&a.htm .

Ask those who got ferrets legal in some states or communities.  Ask
those who successfully fought moves to ban ferrets.  You get the idea.
Emotional pleas go nowhere long term but if they are backed by something
solid then change results very often.  So, instead of repeatedly
mentioning these occurrences here if this issue matters greatly to you
find a successful way to work for change.  (This is nothing beyond a
very rough sketch of how to start and what sorts of things you will pore
through in the beginning.)