From:
Deb Daugherty Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 09:57:00 -0500
With regard to the so, so sad ferret (allegedly) eating baby issue, I
want to know why the authorities didn't require that the Rottweiler(s)
be put down and do a necropsy on THEM?

Someone should ask this question! Unless the dogs were outside at the
time of the incident, I'd be willing to bet the farm that the chances
of finding baby part inside the dog(s) are a heck of a lot better than
finding them in the ferret! The ferret might (and I stress the word
'might') have happened upon the scene and took a taste of any
leftovers, but I'm inclined to doubt it.

I'm glad that those responsible for the half-a---ed handling of this
situation (and the sensationalizing of it) are taking serious heat for
the integrity of their investigation. Think about it: this is probably
the biggest event to have taken place in their little world in most of
their lifetimes!

And, I'm really, really proud to be a part of a loving and caring
community that's not taking this lying down.

I believe that the police may have the right to hold information
regarding an ongoing investigation close to their little bulletproof
vests. But, we do need to push to have a (very) knowledgeable
veterinary pathologist examine the remains of the fuzzy so that this
sorry matter can be put to rest. I'm sure the remains are being
preserved.

I won't even go into the problem of the sperm and egg donors in this
situation, except to say that someone should do to them what they did
to the ferret.

Sorry, everyone. I'm generally a lot more tactful than this (and I'm
biting my tongue as I write this to the point that it's becoming
painful!) in my 'public' communications. But, this entire situation
should never, never have happened. It is NOT the ferret's fault and NOT
Petco's fault that the pieces were put in place for this tragedy. It
represents a gross and collective failing on the parents, child social
services, animal welfare/control 'professionals,' and any other entity
in that community that negligently contributed to this by failing to
act in the best interests of those children and the family pets.

God bless us, every one.

Deb Benson
President
Ferrets Unlimited Rescue Services