From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:41:15 -0400
I'm still trying to make some sense of the Smokey story.  Of course, it may
well be that my own ignorance is hanging me up, but I still can't get it to
mesh.  Digging into references did not help, though perhaps more extensive
and more recent references would.  Could the ex-owner perhaps pass on the
pathology report to one of our prominent vets, or let an FML member
veterinarian/ organization/shelter/activitist know the town, county and
state and when it occurred so that the report can be requested?

Secondary infections of Mucorales molds have been produced with molds from
straw or hay (and we've had a ferret who was never near such things prone to
ear fungal infections ourselves) but the symptoms of illness couldn't be
ignored, and the descriptions of what happens when the fungi go to the brain
are just the opposite of what was in the letter.  Could it have been a very
unusual reaction or would the damage preclude that?

In mink scrapies causes similar behavior but the study I found in which
researchers tried to establish the disorder in ferrets met with no success;
only one ferret got it and it had minimal behavorial response and then
recovered.

I've seen distemper do that in a dog; it's a terrible memory.

There are written reports of some types of poisoning getting similar results
in some other members of Carnivora, including an abberant bout of lion
attacks.

There was also the wonder if perhaps the damage had a different cause and
the ferret was a scapegoat, or if what you were told may not have been what
happened.

Maggots: The folks who mentioned cleaning for maggots were not being
callous.  The way to get rid of them is to remove the food sources, which
can include rotten food (perhaps stashed and sunken into a crack in the
cage) and feces.  Once everything has had a really good cleaning with
diluted bleach you don't have to completely change the cage or even the pot
each day, but if you buy a slotted pan scraper (which costs from below $1 to
$2 typically) it takes only a tiny time to dig out the solid waste.  We can
do their three primary pots daily in less than 5 minutes.

Repeated respitory infections: Could the ferrets be RE-infecting from each
other, water bottle, food dish, bedding, etc.?  Try separating them and give
all very well cleaned or brand new things for a while.  Yes, they CAN get
asthma.  Ruffle had it.  Children's Benedryl helped her.

Sleeping: You are being trained.  Turn the tables.  Lower a sheet or blanket
over the cage for sleeping, put a clip on the door so it can't be rattled,
and IGNORE any sounds which are not possible problem sounds.  (That doesn't
mean they can't learn to use trouble sounds.  Meeteetse has a fake cough
which stops completely as soon as anyone enters the room or the words "Fur
Ball Medicine Treat" are said.

Rawhide laces as collars: ferrets like to dunk their heads and such laces
sometimes shrink or harden when they dry which could cause a health hazard.

Clumping litter and cut down pots: We use cut down pots for the small carry
cages, but they have one serious flaw, the cut edge tends to stay rough.
For a baby (since they are more inclined to straining and prolapsed rectums--
which can be replaced by putting a lubricant or --if vet agrees-- something
like a cortizone cream or Preparation H on a finger and GENTLY applying a
bit of pressure on and off) the natural tendency to scrap the bottom on a
surface could have nasty results with anything rough.  Babies also litter
dig more, and there have been some reports of owners finding divers who had
clumping litter dead from it getting in the respitory or digestive tracts.
Be careful!

Sukie