From:
"Lindy N. Garner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 14:02:22 -0700
PLEASE HELP!
Ok, we got the results today of the adrenal panel.  Idgie is extremely high
for everything (except the cortisol of course, but one of the androgens
normal=.71 idgie=77.5; precursor progesterone normal=.2 idgie=36.2; and
estradiol normal=106 idgie=254).  After talking with my vet she also seems
to be showing signs of insulinoma.  I just put two and two together when he
said we would have to start watching out for these types of signs (e.g.,
after eating getting very tired, going into kind of a stupor sometimes, hard
to keep weight on even though her appetite seems good).  We did not do a
fasting glucose but her last checkup showed a blood sugar level of 70 (she
ate that morning but I don't know when the vet drew the blood so it could
have been at least 4 hours-especially considering she basically only eats
twice a day-am and pm)

Soooooooooooooo,
Does the insulinoma rule her out for the second surgery? Apparently the
adrenal problem could be masking the insulin problem to some extent, and
even with the adrenal surgery the insulinoma one will just get worse?
Again, there just aren't any REALLY experienced vets out here that I feel
comfortable even trying to get to take out a right adrenal gland.  How long
do I have to improve her quality of life with medical therapy (i.e.,
ketachinazole for adrenal and brewer's yeast or prednisone for insulinoma).
What signs will I have to accept that she is no longer leading a quality life?
I hate this, no matter how healthy the other two are I feel bad because of
the little scrapper.
Lindy
 Lindy N. Garner
 Montana Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit
 Univ. of Montana, Dept. Organismal Biol. & Ecol.
 Missoula, MT  59812
 w-406/243-5372; fax-406/243-6064

 "Always behave like a duck, remain calm and unruffled
 on the surface, but paddle like heck underneath" -unknown