From:
Bob Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 09:02:40 -0500
I do NOT wish to continue a debate on Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters, but
if it is in the interest of some little fuzzy somewhere, I can and will act
like a total ass, and I am experienced and qualified doing so.

My GFI warning was concise and my sources unempeachable.

I feel that it was needlessly diluted by editorial comment. I sincerely
hope that no one presumes that using a GFI will provide any significant
contribution to ferret safety, thereby making cord chewing tolerable.

Of the endless possibilities and scenarios where harm might come to a
ferret, the GFI protects against ONE SINGLE SOLITARY SPECIFIC MODE. It
provides false security against other threats. The REAL THREAT of cord
chewing is FIRE.

To be absolutely clear, unless the ferret is standing on a wet concrete
floor or otherwise contacting a low impedance ground path, the GFI is NO
protection whatever.

By all means, buy tons of GFI's, it puts money DIRECTLY into my pocket
every time you buy one.... but don't assume it makes your ferret safe.

Bob, dammit