Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 22:48:24 EDT
>... I got "pony packs" (little pre-started plants, usually 6-8 in a
>container) of Marguerette Marigolds (the miniatures, not those BIG ones
>you see in the stores around Thanksgiving) and SURROUNDED my house with
>a 1-plant-thick all-natural ant barrier!  They are small enough that
>they can even be planted across walk-through areas.  Kept dead-headed,
>they will bloom continuously through the spring, summer and fall, are
>not major water-hogs, and are sprightly and cute.  Non-poisonous to
>people and pets.  And sage the pinched-off old blossoms!  Dry and crush
>them to scatter on door and window sills for an extra bit of protection,
>or whip `em up with water in your blender & make a spray!
>
>Peri

Hi Peri ~

Wonderful idea and you are right about the plant.  Also pennyroyal, dried
and sprinkled will retard ants.  Many insects do not like the smell of
thyme also.  For outside I make a spray of tea with witch hazel.  1/2 cup
of each: thyme, oregano, and rosemary (all aromatics), add to one and a
half cups of tea water, and steep for 20 minutes.  Do not add sugar lol.
Place in a spray bottle with 3/4 to a cup of witch hazel.  Spray before
going into the garden.  This works on our big Maryland Eastern Shore
bugs.

Also, thank you Sukie for the kind words...yes things are getting better.

Warmly ~
Mary