Date:
Sat, 15 Oct 2005 09:48:17 -0400
I know I am going to get flamed for this but I think what Joshua was
trying to say is that just because someone doesn't smoke doesn't mean
there are not health issues.  First of all, where does the air inside
come from?  Um let's see .... outside.  I know most of you know had to
add but I had to make that point clear.

Second the air in you house is 200 to 500 times more toxic the the air
outdoors.  Almost all the chemicals that person listed that are in
cigarettes are already in you house at higher quantities.  If you cook
on a stove you produce as much carcinogens as smoking a cigarette.  So I
guess we shouldn't adopt to anyone who cooks.

Also having a furnace in your house can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning
so I guess you can not heat you house either.  After all you could kill
everybody with that including your pets.  Since the majority of the
population doesn't get their heating and air conditioning checked to help
prevent it and have their heat exchanger checked for leaks, you shouldn't
adopt to them either.  Oh, and let's not forget changing filters every 30
days, unless you have a honey well hepa filtration system which is every
two - three months, or an april aire hepa filtration system which is once
a year.  People think that if they buy the regular pleated filters at the
store that says up to 90 days, they can change it at the frequency.  Nope
still needs to be changed every thirty days since it restricts air flow
and can cause you system to break down.

So I think I have eliminated at least 70% off the population of ferret
owners and potential ferret owners.  Now lets think how can we disqualify
everyone else.  If you have any other pets you are out, since they can
transmit diseases to each other.  If you own kids that's out since they
tend to be more susceptible to viruses which can be transmitted to your
ferrets.  Oh and you can't go out doors either since you could possibly
catch the flu and give it to your ferrets.  Also anyone who gives their
ferrets raisins is out since they are known to be toxic, as well as
anyone who feeds their ferret kibble since that can cause teeth and other
health issues.  Anyone who uses artificial light is out since that can
contribute to adrenal disease.  Anyone who would possibly let their
ferret even kiss them after they have ice cream or give them sugary
treats is out since that can cause insulinoma.  Of course taking your
ferret outside is completely out of the question being that you have to
drive a car to get to the vet and just the danger for them being outside,
for instance escaping, getting bitten by a tick or mesquito, or possibly
licking anti-freeze off the ground.  Oh, and finally if you have ever
given up an animal for any reason, you are definitely out.  Now that I
have officially eliminated every single person on the planet from owning
a ferret I will get to my point.

I guess what I am upset at is that people are attacking and assuming.
You know what they say about assuming right?  It makes and a__ out of
you and me.  I think generalizing is what always gets humanity into
trouble and starts wars.  That is the reason why Native Americans live
on reservations, we had the holocaust, the civil war, and even 9/11,
as well as numerous other incidences.  If you assume that just because
someone smokes that makes them a bad parent with out asking questions it
just makes you ignorant.  You could be missing out on great potential
parents to ferrets.  Meanwhile you could be adopting to some horrible
non-smokers.  After all just because you don't smoke doesn't mean you are
going to take care of a ferret properly.  How many people give up their
pets because they are moving?  I am sorry but the excuse of I can't find
a place doesn't excuse it.  I have traveled across the country with pets,
it may mean my rent is higher but they are family.  I am certainly not
going to leave immediate family behind so why my pets?  I have seen
numerous people post that they adopted a pet but can't afford to take
them to the vet when they are sick, and these are just a few issues.Also
if you are going to discriminate be complete across the board, don't take
donations from them either.  After all there is a name for people who
take but don't give.  Be honest and say I do not adopt to these people
and I do not except donations from them either.  I have never seen this
clause in any post asking for money.  In the end are you really stopping
them?  They can always go to a non-discriminating pet store.  I think
the point is educate, ask questions, and please don't generalize.  After
all we don't want to start a ferret war.  Below are links to back up the
facts I stated above and other ones on ferret illnesses you can easily
look up by searching the Internet.

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/household/carcinogens_home.htm
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html#Intro1
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pages/communications/CO/co_cases.html
http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/indoor/bcooking.pdf

[Moderator's note: Clearly, at least to me, you are using these facts
in an attempt to underscore your belief that smokers should not face
discrimination regarding ferret/pet ownership.  Points taken, but there
are counterpoints which can be made as well.  So what we need to be
careful about in the FML is that there's a real tendency this dialog
will turn into a heated debate about smokers vs. non-smokers.  That is
WAY off-topic and will lead nowhere.  If you want to confine arguments
to ferrets, fine, but overly general pro-/anit-smoking posts will be
returned.  BIG]