From:
Carla Smith - WhyNot? Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 1996 07:50:59 -0500
With the holidays just around the corner, a lot of folks are going to be
travelling on vacation - some with, and some without, their ferrets.  I'd
like to offer a couple of suggestions to help protect your pets in case of
an emergency either way.  This is what I do whenever I'm going to be away
from home overnight.

1.  Travelling with the ferrets:
Make a couple of obvious, easily readable signs that say something like
"DOMESTIC FERRETS - We belong to (my name, address & phone #).  Our vet is
(Dr.'s name, clinic address and phone #).  All our medical records,
including vaccinations, are on file with (vet).  Please contact (him/her) in
case of emergency!" Attach the signs to opposite sides of the carrier (I
have mine "laminated" on with clear contact paper.)

For a long trip, I would also plan on having photocopies of current medical
records, especially vaccinations, with a photograph of each ferret attached
to the appropriate record, your vet's business card, and the address and
phone # of where you are heading/staying.  Seal these in a large zipper
plastic bag attached to the outside of the carrier.  You can also tuck in a
note listing the type of food they are accustomed to, name and phone # of a
family member or friend to contact who is willing to care for them if
necessary, special care instructions, or anything else you feel is
appropriate.  Have a separate photocopy of everything tucked in your luggage
or purse, just in case.  This way, if there is an emergency with one of your
pets in a strange town, the treating vet has both positive ID on the
ferrets, their health history, and the ability to contact your regular vet
for consultation.  Especially if you're involved in an accident and can't
see to your pet's safety immediately - the rescue workers have something to
go on and your ferret has a better chance of being cared for.

2.  Leaving your pets with a sitter:
In addition to info on how to contact you, make sure the sitter has the
names, adresses, and phone numbers of both your regular vet and the
after-hours emergency vet, and knows how to get to their offices.  Contact
the vets before you leave, tell them how long you will be gone and where you
can be reached, who will be caring for your pets, and authorize them to
provide any care required for your pets if there is a medical problem in
your absence.  Make arrangements with them on how to handle the payments
when you return, or agree to leave a deposit just in case.  Some vets will
accept a verbal notification over the phone, and will just tuck a note in
your file; some vets may prefer written notification from you with all the
information/authorization spelled out.  Make sure there is no question from
either the sitter or the vet on what you authorize them to do while you're
gone.

If any of your pets are on regular medication, be sure there is enough of
the prescription available to see the animal through your absence, with a
couple of days extra, just in case.  Have the sitter come over a couple of
times to watch and learn how to administer the medication before you go.
Authorize the vet to refill the prescription for your sitter, just in case
"something happens" and the medicine gets spilled.  (*sigh* - yes, I once
medicated the carpet with a half bottle of pred....)

Remember to contact the vets' offices, to let them know when you return.

Whether you travel with, or without your ferrets, I wish you a safe journey
and a peaceful homecoming!

Carla S.
WhyNot? Ferrets
Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club