Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:14:38 EST
Ok, I'm gonna bite, I've been in a feisty mood anyway so let the flames
begin.  Bob C. does have an good idea on let's get the problems out and
discuss them.  Maybe some solutions can be suggested.  But so much depends
on location of the shelter.  I've got a few ideas below that everyone on
the list can help with.  I'm also more than happy to hear suggestions from
you all.

Brief history on Ferrets R #1 - I thought a good long year before starting
up.  I worked in the past fostering ferrets, dealt with death and disease
and volunteered here and there for my local ferret shelter.  I had read,
subscribed and surfed the net for ferrets for years.  I've been an owner
for over 12 years and participated some in the local ferret community.  I
knew what I was in store for.  I bought the start-up package from STAR*
(and yes, as Bob recommended, it is an excellent place to start to give you
some points to ponder and many helpful hints).  We had been sorely lacking
for a shelter in the area for over a year and nobody else in the community
was doing anything.  I kept getting ferrets in, even without being a
shelter, so I decided to do it.  Last December I put together everything I
needed and started up January 1st of this year.

Unfortunately, a shelter is also a business.  There is no getting around
it.  Not a profitable one, but you have to market the shelter and treat
potential adopters as customers.  You need to let you volunteers and
fosters know how much you appreciate their help.  Ferrets are still the
number one reason you it though.  They always get their needs met before
anything else, but sometimes time runs out in the day.  I can probably
count on both hands how many times I've cleaned my house this past year.
Am I a collector?  Lord NO!  All I try to do is save lives.  I'm always
looking to improve the system too.

Bob C. wrote a great article a few months back on stimulating play time.  I
hadn't really thought of it before then.  But since I read it, each week I
reorganize the play area for stimulation.  Do my charges get out each day.
No.  I wish they did and that is one of the most heartbreaking things for
me.  But there just isn't enough time in a day.  I do have volunteers, but
most are scared to get out too many at once.  So many look similar.  So
there is many different play groups.  My own have suffered too, because
they don't get any more special treatment that the shelter ferrets.  Like I
said above, I knew what kind of population our old shelter in the area had.
But I am very surprised that in my first year (still working on the year
too) I've taken in 102 ferrets.  Turn over for singles is four weeks
(mainly due to having get all their shots), pairs take a couple months.
I don't think that's too bad.  But there is always those, that for some
reason people just don't want.  I average between 25-30 (including my own).
I've never had a ferret come in and start to bite after he/she came in.  So
hopefully I'm not creating neurotic ferrets.  One good thing, the ferrets
live with me and my family, they are right there in the thick of things, so
they do get much love.

What can be done?  What can the general ferret owner do to help the
situation?  Here is some of my ideas.  First off, ferret owners get
attention.  So know your animal.  Educate yourself for the most frequently
asked questions.  Find your nearest shelter and give them a call.  Ask for
some of their business cards.  When people ask about your ferret and seem
interested - hand them a card.  There are so many advantages of getting a
shelter ferret, steer the people to the shelter.  Second, write the chain
petstores that sell ferrets!  If they weren't selling them so quickly, then
they wouldn't be coming into the shelter so fast.  This is especially
important in more affluent areas.  That is my biggest problem.  People in
Washington DC metro area have money, and have no problem buying a ferret or
two today, and deciding they stink a week from now.  There is nothing
harder than being hit with four or five ferrets, that people keep buying
and not thinking about before hand.  You can't place four or five ferrets
in one home.

Shelters working together is also an excellent idea.  I set this up myself
at the very beginning.  Many shelters have helped me out and I have
returned the favor.  But at least in our area, all seem to get swarmed at
the same time, so it isn't always feasible.

I get out and promote the shelter often.  I've tried hard to become a
respected shelter in the community.  I've got a good list of volunteers and
always need more.  I have a son that helps.  But there are improvements
that need to be done.  You deal with it the best you can with what you have
to work with.  I didn't expect to have had 102 ferrets in my first year.  I
expected half that.  But I have worked hard and have no guilt over what
I've done.  I hope others will open their homes and hearts too.  But it's
too much for most.  Just the dollar figure can scare most people off.  So
what do you do?  No they are not better off in my shelter than a loving
home.  I know that.  But it is better than death.

Faith
Ferrets R #1 Shelter & Rescue
No. Va.