From:
Kalaine Tarantelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 05:21:14 GMT
First I would like to Thank everyone who has written to me, and I promise
that I will write everyone who writes me.  As I said before, I will write
everyone back, it is just taking me time.  I apologize if some of them
sound a little generic, I am cutting and pasting a lot.  (I try to only cut
and paste the walking descriptions)  I have had 4 hours sleep in the past
two days.  I get up every time Taz does to help her get comfortable and
feed her soft food and make sure she is drinking and going to the potty.

Taz came home yesterday.  She can stand for about 30 seconds on all fours,
and then she slumps down.  She can't walk right.  She will drag the right
side if she goes slow.  She trotts better, but she gards the right side
(that is the side where she got the shot)  I don't kown if it is the
trotting, or depression, or something else, but she gets real tired fast,
and goes to sleep.  I am trying to let her recover at her own pace.  Every
once in a while I see a glimpse of the old Taz (independent my way) ferret.
She loathes cuddling, so my trying to baby her is probably making her tired
too.  I am trying to cut back.  I think we are both trying to learn what
her limitiatons are.

The vet offered no explination for the paralysis.  I wound up getting a
discount (oh boy)  I didn't have to pay for the x-rays, but everything else
was on the bill.  I payed it.  I am too tired to argue.  When I got home
I noticed something that made me cringe.  A lot of people on the fml
recommended I get a glucose test, so I requested one.  They cut 3 nails
past the quick to get the blood.  Is that how blood is taken?  Last time
they drew blood from Taz they shaved her neck and leg and got it from one
of those sites.  Why didn't they do it that way again.  I can only think
of all the pain she must have been in.  I am taking pictures of her paws,
and the weird way she walks tomorrow.  I wish I had a camquarter (can't
spell it) I will have to borrow one.

I just don't know what to do.  The vets wanted me to belive it was her
glucose level that made her sick.  They tried to get me to agree to
surgery.  (over the phone no less.  (No one was there to talk to me when I
went to get her.  They had a vet there who only knew cat information-big
help to me) Her glucose was 74.  I thought 80 was the fasting cutoff.  I
don't think 74 is that low esp when you have a ferret who had a sore throat
for two days (it made it hard for her to swallow), and also, I don't think
they fed or gave her fluids when I left her at the vet.  She drank water
like it was out of style when she got home.  I am now looking for a new
vet.  I live near Princeton NJ any suggestions?

I want to sue the vet office, but I just don't have the means of doing it.
I don't know if I even have a case.  Most people say I do.  I went in w/ a
ferret who was running around w/ a sore throat, and came out w/ a ferret
w/ no use of the rear end.  Again, I am just tired.  I will have to wait
and see.  Some people think she will regain more movement.  I pray she
will.  Thanks again for all the replies.  I promise to answer all the
letters by Sunday.  I can only do about 4 a night.  I don't want to cut
and paste I feel you guys deserve better than that.  You have really been
helping me through this.  Some people think their kind words aren't enough.
I will tell you your kind words are the best thing for this tired, ferret
mom.

THANK YOU ALL.
Kalaine, Taz-arina, and Jezzy-belle