From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:10:31 -0400
HI friends!

It's me Jerimiah-- Oooooeeee- have I got a lot to tell you- It has been
busier than 3 businesses of ferrets here-- those crazy shelter folks
can't stay put!

First of all - I want to say it was a GREAT time meeting the folks at
Ferretstock IV... I admit I was not a real agreeable guy in a new
environment- _ Mom did have to coax me out of the snappy carrier I
arrived in-- but once I grabbed on to her and she walked us around I was
happier.  A busy, busy place it was - quite unlike my quiet shelter home!
Some folks made fun of my chocolate spot though - pointed to it and said
I needed a bath. :( Hey !  lighten up and give this kid a break!  I am
proud of my chocolate spot.  Mom says it sets me apart from any other
white ferret with dark eyes!  And by the way -- I now have 3 chocolate
rings on my tail too - I am getting ready for Halloween!

So, we had lots of folks join us at Ferretstock IV-- but not before Mom
did a night time rescue run.  The new kids got all tested we have 4 new
faces Sox a black mitt gal, Marshall a dark sable lad & her buddy both
8-9 mos., Neko & Tanner two tubby chocolate boys along with a baby
Jerimiah ( not really- but Mom sometimes calls him that) a new little
deaf boy panda Monet and his buddy a sable bully named Renny... they
make lots of messes!

All the kids have their shots and ADV's tested and will be getting ready
for new homes..  Then maybe we will get some Peace in this place again!

It would never have been such a good day if a few good friends did not
lend their time & help.  We had several old helpers who could not make it
this year-- and it was gong to be a rough event-- Uncle Ray came up all
the way form PA to help with set up, take down and manning the hammies
and such for the shelter.Then Melissa D came up from MA with a friend and
helped set up and then got all the raffly stuff ready for the day.  Then
Meredith H came up from MA ( and brought her Dad for help) and ran all
the games this year - so Mom could field the problems and help things go
smoother... And then Skyla came up an helped the vet with vaccinations!
This was not funny they stuck me with the needle!  BAD folks!  But after
all was done I had to say for Mom  " Thanks guys you are all the very
best!"

There were 17 ferret games this year and each winning ferret left with a
big bag of toys, treats & bedding!  Woohoo and a souvenier certificate
too!

Then the hoomans had their own game and they were wearing pictures of
ferrets on their persons.  There were some neat new tattoos this year.
It was a 3 way tie, then a 2 way tie and then the winner was Cheryl T
with a ferret tattoo and furled US flag on her shoulder!  The only thing
that would have made those ferret tattoos prettier were if they used ME
as the model!

There were new faces at Ferretstock IV and some of the older ones too!
Everyone seemed to have a great time playing games and bidding on
desserts after the games - but the Blessing this year for all the rainbow
dancers and for those who cared for them was done by an Indian elder and
the folks all gathered around her for the "smudging ritual".  Over 145
names were recited after the ritual in remembrance.  That is a lot of
little kids this year.

30 kids were in the photo contest- and after all the tallying up $180
dollars was raised to send to the ADV research at U of GA.  Pretty neat
huh.  The winning photo was of Zoe and the votes on her were a whopping
$57.00  She got lots of toys and ADV research got help so everybody wins!

In the pledge event the winner this year ( for the second year in a row
was: Roxanne & Ed Marker in Colorado!  Unbelieveable they raised $415.00
for the vet fund at Ferret Wise... They used some great opportunities-
baking a special cake and selling slices, making scented soaps & selling
them and seeking donations to help us out here.  It was awesome!  I
helped Mom pack up a box with an embroidered Jacket, a trophy mug and a
Petco Gift Card to send to them.

Several other ferret shelters, and rescues came for the day and had great
goodies for all the folks who came.  I was sure happy to get back into my
own little world though.  I ran and hid behind the cages for a whole week
when Mom came in the room afraid she was going to take me to another busy
place, thankfully I have enough to keep me busy here-- especially when it
comes to trying to steal the treats.

We all hope those who attended had a good time-- it was nice to see so
many folks playing games with their ferrets-- Mom says seeing smiles on
peoples faces and ferrets loved makes it all worth while.  The shelter
got all the bills paid-- and had a profit of $1,000.00 - Since then two
old kids Hamish & Miss Marple have had surgeries to remove tumors.  Miss
Marple's is a bad kind and the doc just took a little of it for testing -
but she is eating & playing fine now.  The vet said there is little that
can be done with the bad spot on her as it is in a place they can't
remove it... the folks is watching her real close for now.  Hamish has
healed from his surgery-- but he has become very depressed.  First coming
to a shelter then having a traumatic vet experience is very hard on him
he is just too sensitive -- Mom said he could use some prayers - a week
after surgery Aunt Judy id still syringe feeding him-- and he has such a
sad face.

Well that is it our numbers grew by 10 and hopefully at least 6 will go
to new homes before long-- Things just keep on busy here at the shelter.
Mom is selling bedding and other stuff on ebay- look for "Ferret Wise" on
ebay-- cuz we seem to spends lots of the money at the vets office.  That
was our picnic Ferretstock and it was nice to have such a great crowd
this year... Mom says if we can find helpers we might just have another
next year-- so please folks -- come join us and help out!

Your buddy,
Jerimiah, mascot Ferret Wise Shelter