From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:02:26 -0500
Oh, and I DID NOT mean to give the feeling that any of these people Mike
was seeking were posers.  Sorry if that gets read into that.  It is
entirely unintended if anyone reads it that way.  Mike, Pam, and I are
used to each other and our shorthand usually works fine among us alone.

For those who don't know me that well, though: I had to look up someone
recently for a different person and the one I was looking up had led the
person on to expect credentials that didn't exist: there was a dearth of
publications, no dissertation on file where the person claimed to have
completed degrees even though the university does make them available on
the internet, no listing for the person in the claimed department, etc.
Anyway, that was private so no further details...

I guess that was just on my mind, so when I mentioned that one search
technique may be useful I also added one way I had most recently used it.
It is not the first time I have found that a person in the ferret world
is inflating things.  It is a rare problem, but it does exist.

On the other hand, searching publications and then going back to the
university listings has possibly been useful recently for helping someone
find the authors of a paper that had a novel health approach which
perhaps helped her with an unusual problem IF that is even what was going
on (calcium used for might have been possibly a vanishingly rare paresis
response to an antibiotic).  Searching that way is a good technique
because it is not always obvious offhand who is a poser and it is
important at times to be able to weigh qualifications.

For the people Mike mentioned I was thinking in terms of looking for
REAL people, NOT posers.

BTW, using Google or other search engines to look for recent publications
is also a great way to keep up on what friends are doing.  There are
several friends from decades ago I communicate with only a few times a
year or so who I follow that way, and that way when they write again I
surprise them with a mention of things that they didn't know I knew
about and get them laughing.  Besides, it is a cool way to learn.

  -- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/