From:
John Kincaid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 11:26:07 -0400
Hello fellow FML list members;

Please add the following to your Biological, Haematology and Biochemistry
data, that you recently received from me, before quoting it to any vet.
The reference is Manual of Exotic Pets New Edition 1991 edited by Peter H.
Beynon and John E. Cooper ISBN 0905214153 Published by the British Animal
Veterinary Association.

Below is something else that I feel would be useful for a doctor to know.

Bleeding techniques

"Blood samples me be needed for routine haematology or serological tests
and the quantity needed will determine the method to be used.  toe-nail
clipping will yield a few drops of blood sufficient for a capillary tube
(see figure 4).  An experienced assistant is required to restrain the
ferret if a large amount of blood is needed.  Alternatively light
anaesthesia can be used.  The jugular vein is the most convenient and safe
site for venepuncture using a 23 gauge needle.  Other sites used are the
caudal tail vein, cranial vena cava and cardiac puncture, the last of which
can be hazardous."

Yours for the fuzzies
John