From:
Gail Elsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 12:15:53 -0500
Well, you propose a hard question: What to do with new ferrets coming into
shelters?

I would, IMO, use the saliva swab from Avecon as they come in.  Good shelf
life, not cheat, but $12.00 apeice for a case maybe well worth it.  Those
that test positive, require blood test before accpeting from Avecon that
shows strong negative, or redirect to an ADV shelter.  Those that test
negative, you are still taking a chance, but house seperately (in another
room) for qurrentine and send a blood sample to Avecon or other center for
testing (clip the nail or draw).  this should be done 2 weeks after in
quarrentine as it takes that long for infection to show.  After results,
if negative, then integrate as long as otherwise healthy.  Expensive?
Around $12 for the quick test and $20 (with shipping) for the blood test.

I know shelters do not have a lot of money, but is it worth it?  I think
so.  I test all my newbies upon arrival and so does my vet.  Nobody comes
into my house w/o a qucik check (I have 3 sitting on my cabinet for
emergencies at the momnet, though I did donate some to a shelter).  Many
vets do discounts on shots, etc. for shelters, or you can perform them
yourself.  I haven't done this for ferrets, but I give all distemper, etc.
shots to my other animals.  Rabies, I hit a rabies clinic.  I found many
clinics will give shots for under $5 for other animals, and if you but the
rabies vial and have it sent to your vet, it is much chaper.  With 8, I
plan on doing this.  I will give my guys and gals the distemper next year
(exceot for Bear who reacted last time), but will do AT my vets...(many
vets will let you come in during a slow time for a small fee).  I actually
helped my vet last time because all the techs were busy, and got a free
office visit out of it!  Just a few ideas to help cut costs.  of course,
i have medical training and am not squimish about drawing blood or giving
shots.

Gail
Bonnie, Clyde, Beorn Bear, Gimli, Gloin, ???, Willow, and Fox