From:
kimberly blackman arnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 12:39:45 CST
 Hi, everyone.  I'm writing in response to the person who just got a new
kit that does not like to be held.  When I first brought Walter home all
he wanted to do was play, get into trouble, and sleep.  I was a little
discouraged that he would not let me hold him for more than a second.
Well, miraculously, around three weeks ago Walter(5 mos.)started to change.  No
more nipping, no more pooping in inappropriate places, and suddenly he
will let me hold and hug and kiss him for long periods of time.  He is
much,much more affectionate.  I am totally ecstatic at the changes and
am so happy that Walter has turned out to be such a sweet and charming
little animal.  He still gets into mischief (of course), but his sweet
disposition makes it impossible for me to get mad.  I think the key to
getting him to like being held was just holding him despite his attempts
to get away.  I hold him and talk to him gently as much as possible and
simply smother him with love.  This seems to be working.

On the subject of ferret noises, Walter makes a dooking noise when he
plays, a groaning sound when he has something unpleasant done to him
(nail clipping,etc), and he positively shreiked when I had him
vaccinated for distemper and rabies.  I'd never heard a ferret scream
before, and hope I never do again. Also, Walter discovered how to hiss
around two weeks ago.  At first I was quite startled
because he would do it at really weird times, like he hadn't quite
figured out the whole hissing business.  He'd be playing
and all of a sudden HISS.  Quite hilarious.  Now he only hisses if he is
flicked on the nose for being naughty or when we go to put him in his cage.

I love this little peice of fluff SO MUCH.  I can't bear to think about
ever losing him.

Sincerely,
Kimberly and Walter-the-love-weasel