From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 13:05:51 EST
Stephanie writes:
>I have a lot of respect for people who are prepared to give their
>opinions in a different langue, You try and express yourselves in
>Dutch and see how it comes out.

My heart is broken each time that I see this on the FML, Stephanie and
I'm so grateful for your post.

People forget, and get very narrow minded about what they think is normal
written expression.  They forget that people who write are of different
ages, races, from different economic classes, different cultures, and
different geographic origins to consider.  Good God, never mind if the
person you are writing/speaking to is from a different country.  What's
more, no matter how careful you are, the brain is a complex electrical
machine of firing neurons.  It ain't always perfect!

People (hate to say it, but women in particular) hyper focus on syntax
and detail so much, that they loose the entire heart and meaning of what
the person is trying to communicate.  Because there is a lack of visual
when you write each others, it is an easy habit to fall into and
something you must consciously ignore.  That's called consideration.
Look to see "what" the person is saying, now necessarily "how".

Think about this please ... if a stenographer took down, word for
word, what a friend or neighbor said to you today, it would translate
horribly.  I promise you.  So while you're talking to people today, try
to visualize the words on paper with no intonations and no idea of whom
you're talking to or their emotional state.  It's an eye opener (if you
are honest about it).

>When I joined the FML after the symposium in Atlanta I really enjoyed it
>because you could give your point of view without getting kicked in the
>teeth for it.  Nowadays I just skip through it, simply because anyone
>who happens to have a different point of view is dragged through the mud.

Absolultey.

Wolfy

http://www.wolfysluv.com
Sean and Rocky Slide show