From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:07:51 -0400
Well, since Meeteetse had an update Ashling needed one, too.  She still
hasn't regrown her fur since both adrenals came out but it's not unusual
for fur re-growth to not happen till the next shedding season so that's
fine.  Her Prednisone and Fluorinef are going in easily, and she is back in
the big cage and having full romp.  She does not miss most of the normal
post-operative care, but let's face facts: careful post-operative care at
home keeps them alive after surgery and is as important as their vet care,
just as nursing is as important to survival as the surgical skills of a
physician for us humans.  Ashling does miss the warm post-surgical sleep
sacks so we're letting her have time with some, but she is happy to no
longer be using newspaper for litter even though it did keep her incision
clean.  She likes having more room and no restrictions on her activity
level, but those curbs on her activity kept her alive, too.  She is happy
to be in with the others, but given how some of our crew are prone to
fussing with stitches having her apart was essential for her survival.
She doesn't miss the antibiotics at all, but she does miss being fed a/d
(a liver based food available from vets which we find important after
operations) mixed with water and slowly given by hand.  Anyway, overall she
is happy despite the reduction in fancy food, warmed beds, and such.  She
especially likes the fact that she can climb again.  That's a big no-no
post-operatively but it's hard to stop her.

BTW, we have NEVER to date in 18 years with ferrets lost one
post-operatively.  One of these days we will, but this has worked so far.
So has pre-operative care like giving nothing with garlic, vitamin E or
anything else that could promote excessive bleeding before a surgery, and
nothing which can either depress or stimulate their systems too much like
true licorice (not artificial) or caffeine or so on.  (Though we don't
give the first to any in case of pre-existing heart disease which might
be worsened, the second sometimes gets stolen from Steve's pop cans if he
loses track and one gets spilled.) After all, we humans are not supposed
to take certain things, so it makes sense to use the same level of care.
Right?

Seven has been trying to fight with her now and then (Seven wants power
over her.) but that's bad form and Seven goes into the carry cage for times
out, which seems to have stopped her attacking Ashling when down.  "Bad
form, Seven!" (Yes, Steve actually caught me shouting that once, but
she's very smart and a ready learner, plus the carry cage is ready for her
"shunning" if needed again-- all of five or ten minutes since she catches
on fast being a very smart creature.)

Ashling gets to have a blood test late this week (as will Meeteetse for her
DES check).  It's too early to know if Ashling will ever be off Fluorinef
or if she will always need it, but many ferrets have taken it long-term
with fine results and she is flourishing on it now.