From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 00:03:43 -0500
There are a lot of ferret shelters that need help these days. But,
I thought as an illegal ferret owner in California (thanks Bill for
allowing the "anonymous" listings - though I doubt Cal dept of fish
and game have the time to read the FML!) I might mention that there
is one shelter here in the state who commits to taking ferrets that
are confiscated by dfg and has a permit to move them out of state.
This saves these ferrets from euthanasia.

Cal.dfg - maybe just for PR or out of a humanitarian impulse - allows
the group (Cal. Domestic Ferret Eduacational Alliance- a 501c3 org) to
take in the confiscated and "found" ferrets. But of course, does not
provide funding/compensation for vet care, food, transport or supplies.
It is certainly a labor of love - since many are sick and have to be
treated by a vet, fed and nursed before they can be moved out of state.
Some don't make it and die in care. They (like other shelters) spend
a lot on mundane things such as washing bedding, buying food, heating
areas for sick animals and vet bills. Their ferrets on the giving tree
have been selected, but like other shelters in the US they operate year
round, and being in CA do not have many volunteers or have time to do a
lot of fundraising. And fundraising is tough right now in this economy.

If anyone wishes to make their life easier they could help with a
financial donation. PR and fundraising are a problem when you cannot
promote ferrets, their care or legalization. Asking for funds for
ongoing vet bills, heating, and medications for ferrets confiscated by
CDFG does not sound very glamorous/sexy - and does not compete well
with raising money for ferret legalization, supporting humane societies
who rescue cats and dogs, or wildlife groups who rescue oiled birds.
And did I mention the economy?!

If you can spare some additional funds for these ferrets who are like
"wards of the court" but loved and cared for by a wonderful group send
a donation to:

CDFEA
18500 Von Karman Ave. Suite 600
Irvine CA USA 92612

BTW I understand and appreciate that other individuals have
"unofficial" shelters in Ca that take in ferrets. I'm an illegal weasel
owner myself, but I can say no and suggest another "underground" ferret
owner who might take an animal in here in the "golden" state. However
CDFEA does not have that option. No to dfg might mean euthanasia. Not
nice to think about as you go to bed at night.

Meryl