From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 15:36:16 -0500
Time for a vet appointment, chest x-ray (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is
one of the things that can cause unexplained weight loss), and CBC with
Chemistry Panel.

Be careful to not confuse Prednisone with Prednisolone.  The liver
processes Prednisone into Prednisolone.  If there is hidden low
level liver damage then the Prednisone will not be as effective as
Prednisolone.  If there is worse liver damage then the Prednisone may
not work at all but the Prednisolone will.  Pediapred is a Prednisolone
preparation.  We almost always opt for Prednisolone because there is
often enough more bang for the buck with it.

BTW, remember that concentration levels differ, so when giving Pediapred
(which has more than one concentration level still, I think), its generic
(which does have at least version with a different concentration), or a
compounded prednisolone
<http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/ReferenceShelf/
comp_pharm.html>
be sure to realize that what matters is the mg amount, so if the
concentration level changes the volume (ml or cc) level change must
change, too.  This is also why when medicine levels are given in posts
no one can tell how much med is given if a person just says the volume
level (how much of a dropper, ml, cc).  Instead to know how much med is
given the mg level is needed, or the volume given is needed plus the
concentration which will be read as mg/ml.

For best results do some other math before ferret math.  Consider if you
have enough time to not only give everyone individual attention but also
to spot health problems early on.  Also do your numbers for space and
supplies.  How are your savings for their medical needs?  Depending on
where you are in the nation a ferret's lifetime medical care will run
about three to five thousand dollars on average.  Don't be one of those
people who has ten or twelve ferrets, no money, and then gets coccidia
and mites or fleas (or worse like ECE in all, or a few needing surgery)
in your ferret family.  "Love conquers all." is great in Chaucer and in
Beatles' lyric variations but the reality is that it doesn't clear up
medical problems.  That takes money, barter, or labor in exchange for
care, and lots of sleep lost.

Hurones: different mustelid (but some use the name also to refer to
domestic ferrets) and, yes, hurones are written as taming well.  What
the person is referring to is the tayra, Eira barbara or Mustela barbara
depending on where you look for references, which are in Central and
South America.  They live up to 18 years in captivity, tame well, and
are very playful.  Sadly, in at least part of their range (maybe more)
they are now endangered due to habitat loss.  Historically, multiple
indigenous peoples have kept them for rodent control but it does not
sound like actual domestic lines exist, though perhaps there are.
They've intrigued me for a while now.

See:
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/
Eira_barbara.html

and:  http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/276.htm

and:
http://www.scielo.sa.cr/scielo.php?pid=S0034
-77442000000100033&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en

and:
http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life/mammalia/carnivora/mustelidae/eira/

Sukie
(Okay, I'll be repetitive: I am not a vet, just someone who will reach
a silver anniversary with ferrets next year -- I keep losing track so
we just figured it out with our NJ permits -- and who has been involved
with ferret health issues for most of that time.)