From:
John Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:01:37 EDT
Hi all - and especially Glenn Johnson & Chuki
>... animals ... are living things and should be treated as such.

I couldn't agree more.  I grew up on a dairy farm.  We treated our animals
better than people generally treat other people because they were our
livelihood.  The "reality" is that our Holsteins produced more milk when
they were soothed by music from the radio (which was not the station I would
have prefered) and fed a proper and healthy diet (which while costing more
returned a greater "profit" via more milk).  Anyone who believes they were
not wanting to be milked at 6:00 AM and again at 6:00 PM should have heard
their irritation with those lazy humans who weren't there right on time to
let them into the barn for their milkings.  These animals were treated well
because of the profit.  This is not to say that all dairy farmers are great
people.  I saw animals that were abused by their caretakers.  Generally this
was done by hired help who were only there to get a paycheck as opposed to
having a vested interest in the animals welfare.  It is not only unfair to
assume that "profit" automatically creates animal abuse, it is, in most
cases, inaccurate.  The exceptions, as usual, prove the rule.  I have no
doubt that you are sincere in your beliefs.  I respect that and compliment
you for being a committed person.  I am trying to present another view.

>... see MF ferrets in a lessor light...
As another person who believed the "end justifies the means" once said: "Let
me make myself perfectly clear ...".  The major purpose of the post was to
offer to those readers who only hear the bad about MF an experience which
shows that all ferrets are deserving of our care.  My comment about the
"part- time backyard" breeder who produces biters was not as well worded as
it should have been.  I thank you for giving me the excuse to clarify my
position.  I was not speaking of the "hobby" breeder or the small breeder
who cares.  My difficulty was in distinguishing them from the abusive
careless breeders, an example of which was recently written about somewhere
in Texas where the ferrets were in cages in the backyard in 100 degree heat,
covered with feces,etc.  I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by
my lack of clarity.

Assuming your agenda is to help ferrets receive better care, we want the
same result.  Our disagreement is in the methods used to achieve that end.
It seems to me that providing incentives for MF (and others) to change their
ways will be more successful.  We agree that politicians and laws are not
the answer.  Laws are broken daily.  Many times by bad people and sometimes
by good people for justified reasons.  Those who believe laws will solve the
problem are probably aware of the great success laws prohibiting murder,
robbery, etc.  have had eliminating those problems.  Yes, I do have a sense
of pragmatic reality.  I also believe that sensible people rationally
discussing the issues will win in the long run.  Wars are ended at the
conference table.  Thank God there are those like you to stir up these
debates.  Without the debate, the general population simply goes along with
the authorities.  That is not good.

I am convinced that everyone on this list has the same basic agenda.  My ill
chosen words were not intended to create division.  We really are on the
same side.  Honest.

>... armed with self-righteousness ...
I appreciate the point.  I am among the most flawed of humans and would not
be well armed.  I can understand your reaction and sincerely apologize for
implying you were not sincere.  I still disagree with the tactic.  Strongly
enough to come out of lurking.

May I suggest that any further personal discourse be done privately?  Many
of my closest friends are people who I strongly disagree with politically,
but this is not the appropriate vehicle.  I truly welcome getting to know
you better.

BTW - Chuki - you'll have to discuss the paycheck with Glenn.  I'm sure his
heart is in the right place and will listen to sensible argument on your
part.  Now I hope to go back to lurking and learning more about ferrets.