From:
Barbara Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:28:21 -0400
Hi everyone.  I am writing this in the hopes that someone can help me
with what is going on or maybe knows what this is.

One of my ferrets, Kodi, has adrenal.  He doesnt even have 50% hair loss,
and doesnt show any other symptoms, so it is not very progressed.  About
a week ago he started to get really lethargic, and last night, he was
unable to hold himself up with his hind legs.  He seemed to kind of going
into a coma and sat in my arms all night.  He would only struggle every
now and then to move, and would quickly lose energy and would pee right
there (he was trying to get up to go pee).  We took him to the vet today
and they thought there was another problem along with the adrenal.  They
couldnt get enough blood to do a test for insulinoma, but hes almost
comatose, really lethargic, and has the ability to stand (is not
paralyzed) but not the energy so they think that might be the problem.
However, he is not strong enough to stand exploratory surgery.Has anyone
ever seen something like this before?  He is 3 1/2- 5 y.o.  we found him,
so we arent really sure his age.

They gave him fluids and some Nutri Cal and he woke up and tried to move
around, but then became lethargic again.  I was able to get some watered
down AD (special diet food the vet gave us) into him, but he hasnt eaten
or drank anything since about 3 this afternoon.  His temperature was
really low and we have been keeping him on a heating pad.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?  Any ideas?  We dont want him to
suffer, so if he doesnt not get better then we will have to put him to
sleep.  I really dont want to do that, but I do not want him to suffer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If you would like to contact me,
please email me privately.

Thank you.
-Barbara, Hope, Ziggy, and our little sick boy Kodi