From:
SCN User <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 16:36:23 -0700
Hi, does anybody else out there have a ferret who loves to chomp on
enzymatic fish chews?

I am talking about the kind you can buy from your vet; they are supposed to
be used for your cat "on those days you do not brush" his teeth.  Well, I
have never brushed Booker Cat's teeth, nor have I ever brushed a ferret's
teeth (no flames please from those of you who brush your own fuzzbean's
teeth daily!)

Monty loves these things!  Madison will lick at them but not really wish to
eat them, but Mr. Montgomery is convinced that they are a special treat!
I have been using scissors to cut the chews into thirds before unwrapping
them.  My vet thinks it should be alright to cut them up and give them to
ferrets, and I can't think of any reason not to do so, because they don't
look as though they would hurt them and they might help clean their teeth!

So I thought I'd ask you-all about them!

I guess actually this is a type of experiment--give Monty a piece of a fish
chew every night and use Madison as a control and see which one has less
tartar on his teeth after *x* period of time, given that they both eat
Totally Ferret with a little bit of Innova and the occasional Bandit or
Pounce Chicken-flavored Tartar-control treat... but since Monty is such
a willing participant, and Mr. Madison considers his high and mighty self
to be above chomping on lowly fish chews, I think it is a permissible type
of animal research!

Would love to see if anyone else is using them!

Kate, Monty and Madison