Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 10:46:10 +1200
I have been observing the FML for a few weeks now - being new to computers
(just got one) and only having been trained by ferrets for about eight
months, have found it very helpful.  Thanks to everyone and especially Bill.

I have two ferrets (Hade & Chloe), both about ten months old.  This request
for advice is about Hade.

Hade is a male (de-sexed) ferret, approx 45cm long from tip of nose to base
of tail (actually he doesn't have a tail - his Mum bit it off!!) and weighs
approx 2kg.  He is a little pear shaped and waddles a little when he walks.
I guess you could say he might be little overweight???

I have just ordered and received Totally Ferret (took some getting as I
live in New Zealand and had to have it ordered from The Ferret Store in
USA).  Previous to this they were eating Iams Kitten food (and Puppy food -
but now I know better).  I am wondering if Hade should be eating the
Totally Ferret for Older Ferrets??  He isn't very old - does this matter???

They do get lots of exercise - I don't like cages so they live in an area
of our house that is 2.5m x 2.5m with lots of tubes and balls - even a
children's paddling pool full of dirt (for digging).  They also come out
to play with us in the rest of the house when we are home.  They will be
getting a bigger area to play in soon - I have just got a large gate (1m
high) built for the hallway so they can have free run of half the house
while we are not home.  I had to do this as we also have a cat and she needs
to be able to still use her cat door when we are out - but not the ferrets.

Anyway my question is.... should I be concerned about Hade's weight??
Should he be eating Totally Ferret for Older Ferrets??  (This would need to
be mixed with Iams as I can't always judge shipping times with Totally
Ferret and this way they can still eat something they are used to when I
run out).

Thanks
Janine :) (Human in training)
Hade - sleepy, just sleepy.... or do I see a raisin??
Chloe - AKA the escape artist... nothing you have can keep me!