Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 13:35:58 EST
Hi everyone.  I'm catching up on FMLs (We are at home sick with the flu,
struggling to not give it to the fuzzies!) and came across a lot of words
about PETA.

When I was in highschool, I spoke on a panel for animal rights at various
highschools.  I was against ALL types of testing.  I was ignorant.  10
years later, I am quite opposed to PETA.  I think they need to reevaluate
their name: People for the ETHICAL treatment on animals.

From what I've read, they take a strong stance against MF selling ferrets
for laboratory experiments.  But wait a minute!  What about the TREATMENT
of these ferrets.  Look at how traumatic the first few weeks of a ferret's
life is in transit to a pet store.  I'm making assumptions, but can you
imagine how they are treated in transit to a laboratory?!  Its my opinion,
that this is what organizations such as PETA should focus on.  Not to
mention, they need to be more educated on ferrets.  Especially since they
are so recognized.  In Japan, there are facilities that specifically raise
rhesus (sp?) monkeys for the sole purpose of experimentation.  These
animals are housed in the best conditions, music is played for them, they
are given the best food ... etc.  They are treated like humans when it
comes to medical research.  i.e. proper anesthetics and care.  We should
focus on how ferrets and other animals are actually treated in laboratories
and research facilities.

In all of the research I did on PETA, I've come to realize that they can do
more harm than good.  Its like the foundation for PETA is wonderful, but
their priorities are astray.

Just look at the position on ferrets.  "A rabies threat"?  Come on, get the
facts straight!  Don't say your for animal rights just because its cool!
Know what your talking about!

I hate knowing that cute little fuzzies with the neatest personalities
are subjected to many viral infections inflicted intentionally.  It saddens
me, but I know it needs to be done for humans and for ferrets alike.
Vaccinations for your fuzzies don't just magically appear to work.  They
were tested, more than likely on another ferret.

Does anyone know if there is psychological experimentation done on ferrets?
Now that's a whole other post!  Some psychological testing is so gruesome
and stupid (let's cut off an animals hind legs and see how it makes it to
it food dish or lets seclude the animal without any sort of contact and
see how it acts)...no benefit to humanity except for curiosity.  There are
things 100 times worse than these examples that go on.  If anyone knows
about this type of testing on ferrets, I'd be very interested to know about
it...so I can strangle the people doing it!

Well, thanks for listening to my 2 cents worth, okay maybe 5 cents!

I don't think I've given any reason for flames (Hey, I just don't like
PETA ), but if so, please flame me in the privacy of my own mailbox.

Catherine
And then there were 5!

[Moderator's note: Please keep replies or posts about PETA on the topic
of ferrets, not general animal-rights issues.  Thanks.  BIG]