From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 15:51:13 -0000
Hi Folks,

First of all many thanks to Bill Gruber for keeping us on the straight and
narrow - you're doing a great job Bill!

It is believed that the Romans introduced the ferret to Britain around 2000
years ago.  A friend of mine tells folk at countryshows that they Romans
brought the ferrets over to help catch food for the army.  Now this has me
puzzled because I've read that the rabbit was introduced to these islands by
the Normans - 1066 and all that!  What were the ferrets used for?  I guess
pest control (rodent) seems likely!  The Romans did also introduce the
edible dormouse and snail at around the same time as the ferret but did they
also bring the rabbit with them?  Did the rabbit population die out after
the Romans left?  Anybody got any answers?

I watched a very interesting programme on TV last night "Stoats in the
Priory" it's a brilliant documentary about a jill stoat and her kits.There
were also some shots of Ermine (stoats in winter coat) and Polecats.  The
weasel war dance would appear to be a fairly common trait of mustelids.
Does the Badger indulge in such behaviour?

One scene in the documentary actually showed the jill stoat being chased by
a rabbit!  David Attenborough reckoned that the rabbit was a nursing doe and
was protecting her young.

I have seen a weasel that was out hunting, Jack and I were out rabbiting
when we saw the little mustelid making its way through the moorland grass
just above the spot where we were working our ferrets.  It totally ignored
us and carried on about it's own business.

Sheila

Bolton Ferret Welfare
National Ferret Welfare Society Newsletter Editor
http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm (Last Update 12 Dec 1997)