From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2008 10:55:54 -0500
I want to offer condolences to Sue and strength as she monitors the
remaining ferrets in her care for distemper adn comment that while we
have noy had to deal with this very horrid contagion, it is one that
can reap devastation on rescues. Over my years on the FML I know of 3
other outbreaks - one in CA and it was a real wake up for me. the in
TX with Ferrets First rescue when I was contacted about a ferret with
suspected food allergies. That ferret had a rash around it's mouth- had
also come form a pet shop.

I those many years ago suspected it might be other than a food allergy
and urged strongly the rescue operator get the ferret tested for
distemper. Several days went on and then I got a call the ferret had
a respiratory condition-- what antibiotic.. then I REFUSED to offer
information other than get the ferret to the vet for blood work. It had
canine distemper and exposed over 100 other ferrets in all I believe 80
died form that exposure and several others developed neurological
impairments form that one exposure.

Rescue is a good thing but I am speaking for us all when I say-- small
facilities DO NOT HAVE the capability of quarantine for these verile
virus's. These same contagions CLOSE DOWN rescues in large facilities.

Unfortunately the rescue needs to lock down for a minimum of 3 mos. NO
ferrets ( or dogs) in, no ferrets out - to ensure no one carries this
distemper anywhere else. This is a crippling thing for any rescue or
shelter.

Instead of bullying the person who reported this we should be consoling
her. Yes distemper can be and is spread through pst shops.. WHY? The
ferrets are stored and distributed by companies that also distribute
other animals ( puppies) which can carry / expose them to it. AND the
vaccines given to any ferret under the age of 8 weeks may not prove
effective!

This reason was the crowning glory to the NH 8 week age of sale law
pertaining to ferrets. Our state agriculture department is very tough
on contagions brought over the state lines.

I am sorry Susan had this horrid experience that will haunt her.. and
I am sorry also she has to deal with the result of the exposure with
all the other ferrets.

Susan, I am very very sorry for your experience it is a hard one to
live past... but you are a kind and persevering person ( I doubt those
that flamed you have any compassion at all). I know that you will see
your way back to better days. The rest of the readers I hope will show
some compassion and sympathy for your ordeal. This heads up is one
that should not be swept under the rug-- as long as folks purchase
baby ferrets from retail operations which get supplied from bulk
distributors (and the chains love these distributors as they supply a
myriad of small animals form rodentia to reptiles, ferrets and cavies)
There IS a potential for canine distemper exposure.

I admit it may have ruined someone's Holiday cheer to read about
this... but that is small in comparison to what the ferrets and
rescuers are going through. I believe the hardest part of rescuing
is saying no when the call comes to take another ferret in. In the
future may we all be more cautious, seek paperwork and evaluate each
new one .. and have quarantine occupancy available with your rescue vets.

Hoping for a brighter New Year for all.

Alicia D, shelter Mom
www.ferretweise.org