From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 1995 22:36:09 -0500
John and Buddy,

Jaundice in ferrets can have several causes, but must be addressed ASAP for
the best prognosis.The causes include:

1)Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia---This can be induced by medications, but in
most cases the cause is unknown.  This is a condition where the ferrets own
immune system attacks and ruptures the red blood cells.  The symptoms
include poor appetite, lethargy, weakness, dark urine.  The diagnosis can be
made with bloodwork (positive Coombs and ANA tests---these are not well
established in ferrets), spherocytes in the blood.  Most times the diagnosis
is made on clinical suspicion (acute anemia, bilirubinuria, hemolysis of the
blood sample, icterus) and response to treatment.  This is usually treatable
if caught early enough with high doses of prednisone.  This disease can also
involve the platelets, making these patients more suscptible to bleeding.

2)Liver infection or cancer----This can be caused by chemicals, bacteria or
possibly viruses.  The diagnosis can be complicated involving bloodwork,
X-rays and possible exploratory.

Your right the at icteric ferrets are very sick and require diagnostics and
immediate treatment to survive.  I hope all goes well.

Call if you need help (I'm off Tuesday, but have the receptionists call me
at home and I'll call you back if you need help),

Dr Weiss
301-299-4142