From:
Ariel White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 12:12:05 -0700
Hello, FML'ers (good idea about the city, Jackie).

It's the first strike of the dreaded ferret math for me <g>.  Last week my
pet store (who is quite good) got another kit in, dark brown all over with a
white nose (what colouring is that, anyhow?).  He was so quiet and still
when I held him, not a nip or anything!  He climbed up my arm and I let him
burrow in my hair- NOT something I would normally do with an unknown kit!  I
brought my boyfriend back the next day.... we went back a few days later.
We came up with as many good reasons to get a kit as we had not to a few
weeks before!  So we brought the little bit of a thing home- he's about 12
weeks.  What's funny is that as soon as he was home, he acquired enormous
mounds of energy and a VERY vocal personality.  Jasper (2.5 yrs) and Taz
(3.5 yrs) are not vocal, they chuckle occasionally, but I've heard Taz
scream only when Jasper tries to steal her raisin <g>.  But this Little Bit
(no name yet), he's dooking and chuckling all the time, jumping everywhere.
He squeals (that's a new one to me), hisses and screams if he doesn't like
something, even if it's just the colour of your shoes.

He's also nipping, and he's one of those "I'll hold on through rain or
shine" kinda guys :-(.  He drew blood a couple of times.  We had him
seperated from the other two ferrets, trying to take it slow, but we figured
that a few rounds with the older ferrets might be good for him.  So we
introduced Little Bit to Jasper, who's very easy-going.  Little Bit was so
excited, dooking and playing and jumping on Jasper, who just took it in
stride.  I feel very fortunate that all three get along well, with the usual
pecking order tussles and playing.  Bit adores Jasper, who's very patient
and will always play, and he respects Taz, who has made it clear that she's
Queen.  It has also helped wind down Little Bit's excessive energy, and he's
been alot more handleable.  He still nips, it's usually when he wants
whatever it is that we're not doing (Down!  Play!  Gimme Toy!).  It means
holding him until he stops trying to nip, and then a little ferretone as a
treat.

Thanks to all of you for the great advice I've been reading about kits,
biting, and so on.  By the way, my boyfriend bought a supersoaker that's
been great for when the ferrets are scratching at the doors.  The pressure
is low, but it's enough that the stream of water soaks through the guard
hairs.  You should see them run!  A few well-aimed squirts to their rears
and they've been much better behaved.  :-) We don't squirt the baby- he's
too young.

A very long post, but having a kit is first for me, though I've had ferrets
for a couple of years.  This weary mom is thinking an older ferret ain't
such a bad thing! :-)

Ariel
Jasper(he's at me AGAIN. sigh. lay down.)
Taz (Up! I want up!)
Little Bit (Play! Jump! Scream! Jump! Run run run run run. I need a name)

PS.  The breeder was Real Canadian Ferrets.  Any comments on who they are?
"Small is the number of them that see with their own eyes, and feel with
their own hearts."      -Albert Einstein

Ariel White                                      [log in to unmask]