From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:35:59 -0500
My Caruso (neutered male, 5.5 years old, both adrenals removed, partial
panceatectomy, on pediapred, proglycem and lupron) somehow developed an
ulcerated cornea on his right eye.  His vet says he doesn't know of any
diseases that could cause this in ferrets (there are apparently for dogs
and cats).

He said there are 2 ways to treat it: the easy way (which we are trying
first) is with triple antibiotic ointment 4 times a day and atropine once a
day.  If that doesn't work, he wants to anesthetize him and try to remove
the ulcerated tissue.  Otherwise, we risk blindness in that eye.

Caruso goes back on Tuesday to see how its going, and the vet even gave me
his home phone number in case it gets worse over the long weekend.

I'm at a loss for what might have caused this.  Caruso does rub his face on
the carpet alot after eating his chicken gravy, but don't know how he could
have injured his eye.  Has anyone else seen anything like this before?

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH