From:
Judy Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 11:02:40 -0400
>Now as for the part about the pet store being the only exposure to ferrets.
>I, as a small breeder would love to have more ways to let "you" see my
>animals.  However, if "you" do not seek us out, (we cannot afford
>storefronts) and therefore we will be found only by those who search most
>diligently.  I place ads in the local papers (the responses are - oh $100
>is too much, I can get a ferret for $35.00 ) or people come out to spend a
>couple of hours handling the ferrets and then say "that was fun, see you
>later when more kits are here, this was a Sunday outing for us".  The real
>ferret people seem to hear about us thru a ferret grapevine.  I have to
>say it is wonderful when we meet someone who is really looking for that
>very special friend.  Very often they leave with that friend cuddled in
>their arms!

Again, I must disagree with you.  If a person has never seen a ferret
before, and therefore knows nothing about them, why would they "seek you
out"?  Why would they "search diligently?" They don't want a ferret, have
never seen one, and have no plans to acquire one-then Lo and Behold one day
they follow their child into a pet store where there are sweet darling
fuzzy things and yes, IT IS an impulse buy and THEY ALSO LEAVE THE STORE
WITH A SPECIAL FRIEND CUDDLED IN THEIR ARMS!!"  It is only afterward that
the new owner "LEARNS" all of the stuff you mentioned!  Do the people at
the pet stores give out info on shelters or breeders?  What if there are no
ads in the paper, and why would they even look there if they have no plans
to purchase a ferret?  What if they don't have Internet?  The key to all of
this is education at the point of pet store sales!!  (I will post more on
that later!) My boys are about 7 months old and had I not seen them in a
pet store-I can absolutely, positively guarantee that I would not now be a
ferret owner!  But in the last several months, I have learned and am still
learning and it is just so simple to see that people NEED to be educated!
I know I can't change your mind about this any more than you can change
mine, but I just don't see a person who has never had any exposure to
ferrets, never seen one, or ever even contemplated ownership just one day
suddenly saying- "Hey, I think I'll check the paper for a ferret!" It just
doesn't happen that way!  Now, although I am fighting fertiplication, IF I
do decide to get another one or two(or more), I may very well do as you
say.  I may seek out a shelter, or perhaps a small breeder, but then again,
those little fuzzies in the pet store need homes, too!  I am also confused.
What is a "REAL" ferret person?

Della and the tumbleweeds!
Tyson(did someboby say "ear"?)
Einstein(busy inventing an "ear protector")