From:
Nadine Toukan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 18:20:29 +0200
Hi, I'm Nadine... owned and loved by 3 ferts.... Cruzer, MF 6 year old sable
female, Toby, MF 11 month albino male and his brother Rocky, white foot
sable.  All have been super healthy with beautiful shiny coats, happy,
naughty and just adorable.  My problem is that I live in Jordan and have not
yet found a vet familiar with ferrets.  For the past week Toby has been
losing hair!  First I thought that he was losing weight because he seemed
slimmer, but after monitoring it appears that the only problem is hair
loss.... not a lot, but considerable compared to the others and before.  No
bald patches, just like he's shedding!  He eats very well, gets his
ferretvite, ferretone and vitasol, plays, sleeps, gets lots of love and
attention.  I've been trying to feel for lumps, but have not found any (as
to the best of my knowledge).  I have just receieved the Fox book: Biology &
Diseases of the Ferret, but have only skimmed through it.  Jordan is not
really a "pet" country and so cats and dogs have a tough time (my boyfriend
just lost one of his retrievers and his rottwieler in less than 2 months to
causes unknown to 2 vets!!) I am willing to invest in getting the vet here
literature on ferrets and even getting him in touch with our vet in Florida,
but this education will take time!!  What do I do in the meantime?  What
should I look out for in Toby's hair loss?  What should I monitor?  I refuse
to have an unknowing vet experiment on anything!  In the back of my mind
I've always said that if and when they get sick I will let nature take it's
course!  I strongly believe in love and care for pets and that it is the
beginning of any cure!  The 3 are with me 24 hours.  I have my own private
studio which is ferret proofed and that's where we all spend the day (8am -
9pm), then at home they have a whole ferreted room!  They are beautiful,
clever, funny, extremely naughty, and know I adore them!  Please help me.  I
have been observing the FML for only a few weeks now and it is truly
wonderful!  I envy you all for being in the same continent!  Over here, 99%
of the humans who have met the fuzzies, have no idea what they are!!!  Help
me with Toby's hair loss.  Thanks.