From:
Lindy Mariel Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 11:34:45 -0600
On Fri, 1 Dec Mick D'Aquin-Burglass, M.D. Wrote:

>Contrary to much well-entrenched mythology, ferrets (unlike humans) will
>not typically eat themselves into illness....  Only humans seem to override
>the signals sent them by their bodies regarding nature and extent of food
>intake.

No, no, no!  The example that springs first to mind is the horse.  Many,
many horses have died from colic after overdoseing on grain.  That's why
nearly all stables keep their grain bins locked.  Basic commen sense should
convince you that domestic animals need their diets measured and balanced by
humans.  My dog would be dead from chocolate poisoning if I let her eat what
she wanted!  What about sick animals that refuse to eat--should we let them
starve?  I implore you to be careful recomending something so dangerous in
this forum, as a doctor, you should be especially careful when handing out
veterinary-related advice.

-Lindy Martin <[log in to unmask]>

[Moderator's note: Dr. Burglass sure did get a lot of flack for that post.
I agree one sort of had to read between the lines to digest the substance
of the post (that's a leftover pun for Bob), i.e. perhaps it could have been
phrased better - but some of these responses border on personal attacks.
Hey... it was an honest opinion and I appreciate that.  I'm sure most of
you do too, even if we don't agree with it.  Chill out folks, please.  BIG]