Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 20:42:31 EST
Sick Ferret In the United Kingdom

Our ferret (known as Snowy - whose picture is on Compuserve) is very sick.

Recently she was vacinated against Parvovirus & Distemper - so we can rule
these out.

Last week she was taken into the vets (and kept for three nights).  Her
symptons were:

A very slight temperature
Not willing to eat
Would not use her hind legs to walk - she kept falling over

She was treated with injections of sterroids & antibiotics & vitamins.

When we got her back she was wobbly on her hind legs and shaky, but was
walking and she regained her appetite.

After several days she was making a good recovery, although she was not as
playful as before (you could not usually hold her for a few minutes without
her wanting to be let down)

Today, however, we returned home from work to find her very tired and weak.
She did not want to walk too far and had a hard time keeping her head up.
We rushed her back to the vets where she now remains (readmitted for the
second time in a week!)

What we would like to know is, given these symptons and the fact that she
has been in a cattery for two weeks whilst we have been out of town, and is
usually a very energetic pet, does anyone know what could cause this
condition (or has anyone else had a similar experience)

I would add that she was accompanied during her time in the cattery with our
other ferret (a male called Chewy) and (touch wood!) he appears to be fine.

We have examined the diseases shown in several ferret books (and talked to
the vet) but at present she doesn't know what is causing this problem.

We noted that a disease called viral myelitis can affect the spine and there
appears to be no test for this in the United Kingdom.  Is it possible that
this could have stuck?  If so are there any tests for it in the USA?

As far as diet is concerned, both ferrets had plenty of dry cat food and
water during their stay and here - so hopefully diet is not the problem.

Any help would be appreciated (via email to myself)

Thanks very much.

Nigel Potter