From:
SukieCrandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 10:21:53 -0500
>Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that Ferretone and Olive
>Oil 'were not' great hairball remedies because these products could be
>absorbed by the intestines.

It's because they are digestible that edible oils don't work.  Petroleum
jelly and mineral oil work because they don't digest (but mineral oil can
sometimes cause cramping).  This confusion is common one that repeats
itself a lot.  Too much digestible oil can cause runs, though, because
it is hard to digest so it can over-whelm the body.  So, you were right
about what works and what doesn't.

>Does anyone know the importance of giving pepto bismol along with
>amoxicillin for a ferret that has suspected Helicobacter mustelae or
>prolapsed rectum problems??  At first I thought the pepto was just to
>offset the nasea from the amoxicillin, but I've discovered that it also
>serves as a stool hardner.

The common combos are Biaxin and Amoxi, or Pepto (for the sake of the
Bismuth which serves multiple functions in conjunction with these
antibiotics) with Flagyl and Amoxi.

It's time to go through back FMLs to find more on the few fatal attacks
that have happened.  It's been a long time since a death has occurred,
and -- if memory serves -- at least one of that "not-even-a-handful-total"
of fatal ones anywhere (multiple countries all together) and anytime
(decades) may have even preceded the FML.