From:
Chet Duda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 02:27:54 -0500
>From:    Cynthia Donovan <[log in to unmask]>
>What I'd like to do is unhook the cage from the bottom - give the bottom a
>good scrubbing in the bathtub and then reattach the cage.  If I do this will
>it flatten out?  Will I have to spend hours getting all the "resting
>benches" back in place?  Has anyone done this before?  Any suggestions?

Cynthia:

I have a midwest ferret condo as well.  We actually got out some lumber and
linoleum and made a second level and used the 2 resting benches as a small
3rd level.  I understand the cursing getting the ramps to work <g>.  As to
cleaning the bottom, remove all the fuzsters, and remove the whole top
portion of the cage (easiest done with a helper).  You need to remove the
wire bottom from the hooks (clamps?--not sure what to call them exactly)
that keep the top portion (wire) in place.  Then simply lift and move.  You
then have access to the entire bottom the cage and may scrub away.  Just
make sure you don't use a harsh cleaner.  We usually put it in the bathtub
and close the shower door and run the shower over it for a while.  Then take
a scrub brush to the soaked pieces of whatever the little ones deemed
necessary to put there.  You don't need to spend hours replacing the resting
benches if you don't remove them.  This system has worked well for us for
over a year now.  Oh, if things weren't moistened and then dryed (glued) on
to the floor, you can vacuum the groove using a crevice tool (we usually do
this every other day so the cat doesn't eat the high protein food--he's
already too fat!) you can eliminate some of the stuff that gets stuck there
eventually (get it before it gets wet).

Goodluck with the "spring cleaning"!

Brenda