From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:54:00 -0400
>Does adrenal disease show up on x-ray and or ultra sound?

An enlarged adrenal may show up on ultrasound, but in my experience, will
not show up on an xray.

>My local vet thinks that this is the best way to diagnose adrenal disease.
>Nothing showed up on our current x-ray.

>Also, she states there is no blood work available to test adrenal.  I'm
>pretty sure there is.

Yes, there is.  There is a hormone panel available from the University of
Tennessee.  Some laboratories can also run these hormone levels.

>She says we need to just wait and see and keep an eye on my ferret.  I'm
>not sure I agree with this.

>Isn't adrenal also diagnosed by signs and symptoms?

That's the way that I usually diagnose it.

>My Chong has thinning hair, is super itchy, has a bald spot the size of a
>nickel at the base of her tail, is extremly agitated and much more
>demanding than usual and also her nipples are swollen and red.
>To me, sounds like possible adrenal or ovary remanent. She says it might
>just be stress.

To me this sounds like you're probably right.

>I'm looking into seeing another vet at this time.

Perhaps your vet simply needs more information on the differences between
ferrets and other species.  Dr. Purcell's book "Essentials of Ferrets: A
Guide for Practitioners" is a good starting point, as are Fox's textbook
and Hillyer and Quesenberry.

Good luck.
Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.