From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1993 02:08:00 -0400
Daisy Lyn--
            Inducing false pregnancy is a common technique used by breeders
to keep their jills in good health.  Mating the jill to a vasectomized hob
or otherwise doing some, ah--- delicate manipulation will cause the jill to
actually ovulate and trick her body into thinking that she is pregnant for
about 6 weeks.  They may likely go back into heat after the false pregnancy
"ends".  Other methods to bring a jill out of heat include hormone shots.
By bringing her out of heat, you avoid the side effects of prolonged estrus
and by allowing only one actual pregnancy a year, the jill stays strong and
healthy.  False pregnancies do sometimes occur in what was hoped to be a
 fertile mating as well.  So check me out, Chrissy, how'd I do? <GG>

             Debra