From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:01:14 EDT
>Question please?  People talk of the hard work in preparing their ferrets
>for the show: What in blazes are they talking about?  If one loves their
>ferret, provides diversity, proper nutrition, exercise, and has their
>teeth cleaned when necessary and ears cleaned and nails trimmed-which
>most of us probably do--what is all this hard work I hear about???

Lisette

First of all, you'd be astounded at how many people do NOT do the things
you mention.  I have seen ferrets living in (what I would consider) pretty
nasty conditions...with long nails, dirty teeth, dirty bedding, cages, etc.
But...back to the "hard" work.  Look at all the things you mentioned.  They
all take work no matter how many ferrets you have.  In my case, there are
17.  My first 3 from a pet store, then many, many from shelters and a few
from breeders.  They all get attention all year round, but shortly before
the shows, I have to make sure they are all up to date on vaccinations, I
take them in for a good teeth and ear cleaning, then take them in again
right before the show to have their teeth "brushed" and ears cleaned again.
The travel cages all have to be re-cleaned from all the visits to the vets,
and set up with clean litter boxes, food & water dishes and clean bedding.
Since I'm spending an entire day (or sometimes weekend) away from my other
ferrets, the main cages have to be cleaned and bedding washed after I get
home from work instead of on those weekends.  There are vaccination
documents that have to be packed, food, water, litter, a brush, harness and
leashes, Ferretone, etc.  Baths are usually given the day before the show,
although this year the poor babies didn't even get one.  I get up a 4:00
a.m. on the day of the show to let the ferrets out for a good, long play
time.  I have to pack everything up and into the car.  The other cages have
to be cleaned and the ferrets not going taken care of and let out to play.
There are always last minute things that I forgot or am afraid I'm going to
forget.

Most of the work is the week before the show, but from your posts, I know
you also "work" hard to care for your fur kids.  I probably, personally,
don't do too much extra for a show, but the show ferrets do get a tad more
attention for a while.  Ferrets, properly cared for, are hard work!  I work
full time and with 17 ferrets, AOL and researching ferret topics on the
Internet, I average about 4-5 hours sleep a night.  It isn't easy all the
time.  When I mentioned working hard all year to "prepare" for the shows, I
mean that I care for my ferrets all year...I don't just "gussy" them up for
the show.

Thanks, Lisette, for your sweet comments about White Russian.  Yes, after
neutering, he lost much of that spectacular coat he had, but he's a much
happier boy now. :)

Ron...it was great to meet you, too!  I only saw the one fur baby you
picked up there...the first...but he's very handsome!  You may want to
enter him next year!

Bill...I brought some of the comments I had up here instead of privately
because I felt there were others that may have the same questions.  I tried
not to bring up anything that others wouldn't be interested in.  I will
e-mail you privately soon in more depth...I don't want to bore anyone here.
Also, it's tough to talk to the judges before all the judging is completed
and the awards given out.  Being a volunteer not only for GCFA but for the
show, I'm maybe more "aware" of the time constraints.  Due to personal
circumstances, i.e., lots of company from out of state, etc., I was
exhausted and had reasons I couldn't stay once I knew Russian wasn't going
to be in the running for Best of Show.

I also tried not to be unrealistic.  Kodiak, who took a first and second
last year, didn't even place this year.  But...I know there were a lot of
ferrets here this year that weren't here last year.  I would still argue
that the judging could have started sooner, but I agree not all the ferrets
were there when it was supposed to start.  I would be tempted to state that
if they aren't there at the time people know it's supposed to start, that's
their tough luck...but that fairgrounds is darned hard to find!
Anyway...enough on the judging....I'm sure most of the judges do their
best.  I won't argue that the ferret that got best alter and best of show
completely deserved it!  He was a gorgeous ferret!

Overall, I think it always turns out to be a pretty good show.  I have fun
(although I get stressed, too).

For the person who asked about renting the place longer, the shelter
isn't rich...that show supports the shelter most of the year, along with
donations, etc.  The fairgrounds charges a LOT if we are there after
6:00 p.m.  A substantial amount of money.  It really isn't a practical
solution to the time problem.

Judy