From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 09:29:25 -0700
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Diabetes

From the information I have been able to gather, diabetes is almost an
"unheard of" condition in ferrets.  I'd get a second opinion!!

Sammy, a 3-1/2 year old female, came into my shelter about a year ago,
supposedly having been diagnosed with diabetes.  I took her to my own ferret
knowledgeable vet, and upon examination he said there was absolutely nothing
he could find that even remotely resembled diabetes!  We have no clue how or
why the other vet came to that conclusion and her owners couldn't find the
name/number of that vet for me to consult with him/her, so we decided the
vet probably was not too familiar with ferrets.  Sammy has been just fine
(in that respect) since her arrival here.  She now has cancer of the right
adrenal gland and is on Lysodren for that.  (Sammy is also in need of a
sponsor, if anyone is interested in sponsoring her.)

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter