From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 23:26:25 -0500
HI Risa -

Can't answer the query about Famotidine as we have never had it
prescribed.  But for mouth ulcers and the after effects of green slime
or other eating issues, the best protocol for us has been simple amoxi
for the ulcers (about 2 weeks); Flagyl/carafate combo -- for loose
stools; and slippery elm bark powder added to their duck soup (FACT's
formula is now strictly ground dry food with water/served at a cream
soup consistency/at just above baby forumula temperature).

Slippery elm bark powder, for those unfamilar with it, is an old native
American remedy.  It is a mucilage (thickener a bit like corn startch in
its properties).

It is extremely easy on the mouth, throat and digestive system and can
help form up those loose stools in ferrets (and humans!) It is far more
palatable than minty flavored Pepto Bismol or even Pepcid.  Most ferrets
take it readily.  WARNING - a little bit goes a long way!  It expands
and makes a nice gooey soup most ferrets seem to love.

I have found it used in some natural food stores in both capsule and
powdered form.  Powdered is easiest to deal with and seems to be the
most effective and the easiest to find.

It actually tastes quite good - though bland! :) - I have health store
throat lozenges that include it as an ingrediant. Rather tasty and quite
effective in soothing sore throat tissue.

Ann Gruden
Ferret Assn of CT Inc.
FACT