From:
SCN User <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:03:16 -0700
I hope they do not use clumping litter for litter and recycled paper for
bedding in the store, not only for health reasons but also for rescues!

I have an adorable fellow who is still learning to use the paper litter as
litter.  He came from who-knows-what background, and I should have been
tipped off when I saw the little sweetheart SLEEPING in a
(paper-litter-filled) litter box at the shelter.  .  .apparently his former
owner must have used the paper stuff as bedding!

So to my little guy, when I gave him the recycled-paper-filled litter box,
it was exactly as if I told him to "go" in the bed!

Imagine how you would feel if you were staying at someone's house and
needed the "facilities," and your host showed you a room with no plumbing,
only a BED inside.

My small friend has learned that ferret beds are soft, cozy sleepy-bags or
little afghans or tiny comforters, in paper boxes, and it is OKAY to "go"
in the plastic box with the little paper thingies in it.  I am so proud of
this terrific ferret.  He is such a loving, joyful, merry little soul, and
a good companion to his younger "brother."

So please, don't use the clumping litter in the store!  For those ferrets
who end up in shelters (and, sad to say, some of them eventually,
inevitably, will do so) it will be harder for them to learn to use the
recycled-paper stuff.

Kate and those two wonderful guys, Monty and Madison