From:
Katharine Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:22:48 -0500
While putting food and water in every room in case a ferret gets
"misplaced" is a good idea, nothing takes the place of interaction and
a head count several times a day. I never leave without accounting for
all of the animals in my home. If one is "missing", I don't leave until
it is found, no matter where I need to go. I have found a dog left in
the yard (fenced) or closed a closet door with a dog in there. I've
spent an hour looking for a missing ferret only to have it walk up
to me at some point! Go figure. Counting noses makes sure everyone
is present and accounted for, and safe. While home, I check on them
several times during the day, always counting noses. Sometimes it's a
little difficult when they're all running around but I stick with it
until everyone is accounted for.

I have read stories of ferrets being found stone cold dead and no one
knew for days! How can that happen? Make it habit to check on all of
those animals who live in your home on a regular basis.

Katharine
Florida