From:
SC Ellis-Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 23:41:59 -0500
Hi folks.  In response to Aileen's inquiry about armpit jelly rolls in
ferrets with insulinoma taking prednisone - I understand this to be
directly related to the prednisone.  One of our guys has insulinoma and has
never had a problem with the associated weight loss.  In fact, he's gone in
the opposite direction and is heavy and has these fatty deposits.  My vet
explains that it comes from the steroid use (prednisone, and in our case
currently dexamethasone).  He has seen some ferrets gain a significant
amount of weight under treatment and recently commented that he could feel
the armpit and leg deposits on our guy.  Our Sam also has a rounded belly
from extended steroid treatment.  If you're going in soon for a glucose
check just have the vet give him a good feel to make sure it's just fat,
unless of course it's really worrying you or if something else doesn't seem
right.  Remember I'm not a vet.  I would be interested in hearing how Gizmo
has done during 3 years of treatment (wow!) - how's his energy level, did
he have surgery, etc.?

Our Sam seems to be winding down after nearly 1 1/2 years of treatment
and just recently started taking proglycem on top of the dexamethasone.

Shelly