Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 24 May 1994 09:48:41 -0400
Hi Andrea, I deal alot with cardiomyopathy in humans, and that
condition in and of itself can be the reason for your pookie's thin
hair.  The heart has to work harder to pump the blood to the body, and
unfortunately, your ferrets hair is not considered as valuable a
function as say, his kidneys or liver.  The one thing you need to
watch for with him is fluid retention, keep an eye on his intake as
occasional "lazy" lapses of that thicker heart muscle could cause him
to retain fluid in his lungs.  I'm sorry I cannot help with the
Diltiazem dosing but with humans at least it is now the drug of choice
over propranalol, due to less side afects like decreased heart rate,
etc.  And it's longer acting meaning less doses for you to have to
give. Anyhow, if his workup has been thorough the hair loss is just
due to oxygen stinted from that integumentary system to more important
functions.  I take it that it's just evenly finer than normal?  Good
luck with him and lots of lovies from the gang in NJ!
 Michele and the gang!