From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:52:49 -0400
Risa, that was Barbara Carlson singing. Yes, her voice is lovely and
she writes her own lyrics. Barb used to post some of them here if I
recall right so they are probably in the Ferret Poem Book:
http://www.dookingweaselforge.com/
which is incredibly fun and leads to contributions to places like SOS:
http://www.supportourshelters.org/

Also:

I think her singing provided much of the glue and a lot the
accessibility of the show.

Barb also sings at Filks. Don't ask me what filks are because I have
only had them explained once to me; I gather they are sort of sci-fi
folk song gatherings but that is a very loose concept and my memory is
probably faulty on that regard.

The focus of the Pursuit of excellence series is NOT the critter or
activities but the people themselves who are doing the questing. That
is why the topic did not range too broadly.

I've read several non-ferret people reviews of the show and some loved
it, some were appalled, and some treated it just the way they treated
the other "Pursuit of Excellence" topics, as an illustration of the
balancing journey between a quest to do one's best vs. toppling over
into obsession. One of the people often mentioned spoke about how
ferrets opened her world. Some said that it was "sad" but the more
perceptive ones (Yeah, reporters are not always intelligent or wise)
found it a great illustration of how following a dream or interest can
open social networks and create community. After all, if our interests
and loves don't connect us to others what do we have left? Blood and
proximity? To some of the reporters who covered the show it seemed
that anything which was not among their own personal interests must by
definition be an obsession which makes me wonder if those particular
people are too narrow minded to ever become good reporters, and to me
THAT is a sad situation since they must care about reporting to be
doing such a hard job and underpaid job (esp. sometimes as opposed to
being a tv commentator, some of some ARE reporters and wonderful at
that so worthy of respect in both ways, but some of whom are talking
heads but not reporters).

(All that said, Steve and I don't breed and have been to a ferret show
only once, something like 15 to 20+ years ago.)

DVD: 1-800-PLAY-PBS (again if my memory serves me)

Like Renee, we heard from many people telling us about the show.

http://www.pbs.org/previews/pursuitofexcellence/

http://www.shoppbs.org/home/index.jsp
doesn't list it yet but an FML member said 2 days ago that it was
already backordered.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: