Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 03:48:02 -0700
Ronald L. Sims wrote:

>3. Because of disasterous ending to using another "less expensive
>ferret food (Purina Lab Diet for Ferrets) which caused hemorraghing
>in  every organ of 7 of our beloved ferts to test this food died in 4
>days.

I have a problem with the above paragraph.

Number 1. I don't know of any Purina Lab Diet for Ferrets.  I am guessing
perhaps you are referring to Mazuri, made by PMI Nutrition, owned by
Purina.  If so, this is NOT a less expensive ferret food...it is, in fact
quite expensive, I think Pets.com sells it for 40 dollars per 25 pound bag,
hardly 'inexpensive'.

Number 2. I have a problem believing the ferret food killed your ferrets.
I would guess more likely that something contaminated the food, like ant
poison or some similar chemical.  If you truly believe the food killed your
ferrets, then you MUST have the food tested to determine the cause.  Logic
dictates that any major food manufacturer would have a multitude of animal
death claims from any given batch of food, IF the food itself were the
cause.  I guarantee this did not happen as the lawsuits would cripple any
company that let bad food get out without recall.

I believe you brought this up some time ago and at that time I asked you to
have the food tested and we never heard from you again.  I agree with you
that you can't go wrong with Totally Ferret..I feed that as well as Mazuri.
But I disagree with you in that you are reporting a very unsubstantiated
incident and making a very serious accusation.  We need facts, as provided
by a testing lab.  'He said' or 'She said' from your vet, or next door
neighbor, or good friend just doesn't count.  They are not qualified to
comment without the test results in hand.

Again, please provide us with substantiated proof that the feed killed your
ferrets.  Also provide us with a proper brand as well, as I said, Purina
does not market a lab diet for ferrets under the Purina name.

For our ferrets!

MC, The Rude One
(With Garret, Tuzigoot, Snorkle, and Bancho.  In spirit, Bubba and
Billy-Bob)